Summary of the 9M 2018 results of Vinamilk JSC (VNM VN)
9M/2018 results: highlights
- Revenue was up by 2.2% yoy. Domestic dairy sales declined by 2.3% yoy, Liquid milk revenue was still growing, while powder milk sales fell the most among VNM’s business segments. Some possible reasons are a loss of market share, to imported products through online sellers.
- VNM’s margins declined as the company consolidated a newly acquired and less profitable subsidiary, VietSugar which refines sugar. The domestic dairy margin remained stable. Net profit declined by 7.3% yoy.
- The financial position remained solid: cash and deposits was 24.0% of total assets, and a low leverage (D/E and D/A of 0.05x and of 0.04x respectively).
- Ex-date of the second 2018 dividend (VND 1,000/share) will be 28 Dec 2018, and the payment will occur on 28 Feb 2019). In Q3, VNM issued a share bonus with a ratio of 20%, and advanced the first 2018 dividend of VND 2,000/share (VND 1,666/share, after adjusting for the share bonus).
- Two major shareholders, F&N and Platinum, have a pending registration to purchase an additional 1.0% stake each.
- We estimate the 2018-2022 annual revenue CAGR to reach 6.0%. Domestic dairy sales growth should amount to 5.2% p.a., a bit lower than the industry growth rate of 6.2% (estimate by EuroMonitor), as competition from imports and from online channels will grow.
- However, profitability is expected to remain at 2018’s levels thanks to the company’s more efficient use of economies of scale.
- We project revenue growth of 3.5% in 2018, while the profit should remain unchanged from 2017. As for 2019, we project revenue and net profit to increase by 6.8% and by 4.2% respectively.
Company ratings and target prices are accessible for clients only.
Our team is actively covering 50 companies in the listed Vietnamese equity space for our clients.
Featured image credit: cattuongcorp.com