Summary of the 2020 results of Phu Nhuan Jewelry (PNJ VN)
2020 results: highlights
- The Vietnam gold jewelry demand dropped significantly by 37.9% y/y to 10.7 tons in 2020 (according to World Gold Council), being nearly the lowest level since 2010. Local jewelry demand was affected by the combination of the global pandemic and record-high gold prices at a time of economic slowdown.
- PNJ reported its net revenue to increase slightly by 3.0% to VND17,511bn in 2020. Jewelry retail sales, which contributed by 59.9% net revenue, led the upturn as it achieved a growth of 11.1% y/y. Such development indicated that the company gained more market share in 2020. The gross margin declined by 0.8 percentage points to 19.6%, mainly due to a lower jewelry retail’s margin. SG&A as a percentage of sales was nearly flat. Net profit declined by 10.4% y/y to VND1,069bn in 2020.
- By the end of 2020, PNJ had 339 retail stores (-7 stores vs 2019). PNJ reported the same-store sales growth (SSSG) was at a single positive percentage in 2020. Cash and cash equivalent was VND422bn (5.0% of total assets). Inventory amounted to VND6,545bn (77% total assets) with mostly highly liquid assets, such as finished products and precious materials. Financial leverage was low with D/E of 0.4x and D/A of 0.2x.
- We maintain our view that the jewelry industry in Vietnam will grow at around 2.0% p.a in the next ten years, which is slightly lower than the last ten years (2.9% p.a). PNJ’s outlook will be driven by the increasing jewelry demand of the whole industry. As a market leader, PNJ can grow faster than the industry by opening new stores in tier 2 and 3 cities in Vietnam, gaining more market share, mostly from unbranded stores.
- We project PNJ’s net profit will grow by 26.2% y/y to VND1,350bn in 2021 and by 20.4% y/y to VND1,625bn in 2022. From 2022 to 2024, we forecast net profit to grow with a CAGR of 10.3% based on two main assumptions that SSSG will be 2.0% p.a, and the company will add about 15 new gold stores annually.
Company ratings and target prices are accessible for clients only.
Our team is actively covering 50 companies in the listed Vietnamese equity space for our clients.
Featured image credit: Internet