Summary of the 2020 H1 results of Masan Consumer Corp. (MCH VN)
H1/2020 results highlights:
- Revenue grew by 28.4% y/y, reaching VND10,029bn. Overall, MCH thrived during the COVID-19 outbreak. The convenience food and seasonings segment benefited from the home eating trend during the outbreak, expanding by 49.6% y/y, and 8.2% y/y. The non-alcoholic beverage segment, which was driven by energy products, managed to grow by 10.1% y/y. Processed meat and home care segment recorded solid growth, though their contribution to the total sale was still insignificant.
- The bottom line increased by 15.0% y/y, while its net margin reduced to 19% from 21% in H1/2019 due to a higher contribution of lower-margin products.
- MCH’s financial position remained solid. The leverage was moderate (D/E = 0.5x). Cash and cash equivalents accounted for 7.1% of total assets. However, we are still concerned about MCH’s significant size of outstanding loans to its parent company, amounting to 47.0% of total assets.
- Payment date for FY2019 dividend of VND4,500/share will be on 24 August 2020.
- We expect MCH’s main businesses, i.e. the seasoning and convenience food segment, to benefit from the 2nd wave of COVID-19 outbreak in Q3/2020. However, we maintain our view that both are getting to a mature stage. In contrast, the non-alcoholic beverage will continue to expand, benefiting from the company’s extensive distribution network. The partnership with Jin-Ju will continue to bear fruit, enabling MCH to continuously introduce new product variants. The home & personal care segment will gain some early traction however its success is unclear as the market is dominated by multinational firms like Unilever and P&G
- Less tax incentives will cause MCH’s effective tax rate to reach 15% from 2020.
- As for the FY2020, we estimate revenue to amount to VND22,544bn, +21.9% y/y. We expect net profit to reach VND4,348bn, +7.1% y/y.
- As for the FY2021, we expect revenue to increase by 6.1% y/y, reaching VND23,925bn. The bottom line should grow by 7.5% y/y, hitting VND4,676bn
Company ratings and target prices are accessible for clients only.
Our team is actively covering 50 companies in the listed Vietnamese equity space for our clients.
Featured image credit: masangroup.com