Summary of the 2018 results of Vinamilk JSC (VNM VN)
2018 results: highlights
- Overall revenue was up by 3.0% yoy. While VNM’s domestic dairy sales declined by 1.6% yoy due to stiff competition, foreign businesses (Driftwood & Ankor) and exports increased by 7.9% and by 2.3% respectively.
- Fiercer competition forced VNM to increase its selling expenses to 23.3% of revenue, up from 22.6% in 2017, putting pressure on its bottom line. The company’s net profit declined slightly by 0.7%.
- The financial position remained solid: cash accounted for 27.0% of total assets, and the leverage was low (D/E and D/A of 0.05x and of 0.03x respectively).
- Up until now, VNM has paid dividends of VND2,667/share for the FY2018. We forecast that VNM will pay further dividends of VND1,480/share until its AGM, which takes place on 19th April 2019.
- Vietnam’s dairy market is growing rapidly, but we expect momentum to start slowing in coming years. Euromonitor forecasts Vietnam’s dairy market to grow by a CAGR of 4.8% in the 2018-2023 period.
- VNM’s sales are expected to increase by a CAGR of 5.1% during the same period, mainly as a result of high marketing expenses. Its net profit is forecasted to rise at a similar rate.
- The market price for milk powder has been increasing since the end of 2018 as a result of unfavorable weather conditions in New-Zealand. However, VNM’s gross margin is unlikely to be affected much as it locked in half of its expected raw material imports at the end of 2018, when prices were lower.
Company ratings and target prices are accessible for clients only.
Our team is actively covering 50 companies in the listed Vietnamese equity space for our clients.
Featured image credit: cattuongcorp.com